Why is English not the official language of England?
- 58 countries have English as an official language - but not the USA or the UK.
- The world's lingua franca or second language is not, technically, the 'official' language of its birthplace.
- English is spoken by approximately 59.8 million residents, or 98% of the population, over the age of three.
- An estimated 700,000 people speak Welsh in the UK,
- Welsh is an official language in Wales: and the only de jure official language in any part of the UK.
- Approximately 1.5 million people in the UK speak Scots — although there is debate as to whether this is a distinct language, or a variety of English.
Read full article (3 minute Medium read)