Is English grammar easier than other language?
Robert McCrum, the writer of the influential How the English Language Became the World's Language has suggested that 'English .. has a grammar of great simplicity"
The argument for this is broadly as follows:
- English grammar is based on simplified form of German
- Verb conjugation is simple for regular verbs: four endings for regular English verbs (paint/paints/painted/painting). French, German & other key languages have 50+.
- There are fewer irregular verbs - and most are irregular in the same way.
- Written & spoken forms are comparatively similar English.
- Noun and adjectival forms do not divide by gender
- Adjectives do not change form for plural nouns (blue car/blue cars)
A version of this post is included in 50 FAQ about English ($1.75)